Windaline brought me the book. It is, as she said earlier, a very simple book illustrated for children in the elementary schools here. There is a map that pulls out from the center of the book, and it is very stylized. The majority of the map represents a topographic birds-eye perspective of Anthem High, with various colors shading different districts, and points indicating the presence of significant governmental or historical buildings. The top-left of the map, and certain patches throughout it, are shaded in a continuous, nondescript dark gray, which in legend is only labeled Low.

I looked at this map and still could not remember anything. Well, actually, this is untrue -- I looked at this map and found something unsettling about it. It does not seem right. I rotated it about, opposite the directions the text indicates it should be viewed from, and still something was backward about it.

The book has small summaries of foundings and wars and photographs of ancient art that was used then to accumulate history, before paper and quill and link were easy to obtain. The major event seems to be something called the Euphorution, which began two centuries prior the establishment of the first dynasty of Anthem High, Nebuliadem. As I was reading this, Doctor Claret entered my room and spotted me reading and laughed. She told me she was amused at seeing such a grown man reading a children's book, and told me that if I learned everything in it, that would most likely be enough to get me out of here.

It seems simple enough, but my mind catches on every sentence, like netting on the hooks of every fact. Every time I attempt to clarify another idea, my mind becomes undone, and then I am broken up into headaches again. It's a children's book, but I can't help feeling frustrated whenever I try to go on. It's not that the reading is difficult, or the words, but it's somehow like I'm trying to learn something extremely high level. Every time I try to take in a new idea, I lose the previous one -- should I come to be able to retain two ideas, they don't make sense together. It's literally as if the author of this book jumps to a completely new idea after every sentence.

I mentioned this to Doctor Claret, who did not appear too troubled. She told me not to feel too pressured, and that forcing my mind too much would not help it. The sun is already setting so I think I will let the book drop for today.

<< >>

Labels: